Monday, July 12, 2010

Vegetable Dilemma

Recently, we've decided to make a less half assed effort towards healthy eating/lifestyle. Heck, I'm in my mid 30's, time is running out for me to "be all that I can be." At least physically. Which, being as shallow as I am, is something I really want to work on. For me, this effort entailed making the monetary commitment to eating more vegetables by joining a CSA, Tierra Miguel. For $25/week for 10 weeks, I make a 10 minute trip to the local drop off and pick up my box of biodynamically grown veggies. So far this has meant a ridiculous amount of squash. Literally pounds of squash in each box. In particular, a fancy yuppy squash called costata romanesca which looks and tastes very much like the lowly zucchini. Only supposedly better. So far we've stuffed it, sauteed it, casseroled it, but there's only so much I can do with squash. While trying my best to be a conscientious, educated individual who has read the Omnivore's Dilemma, I suppose the spiritual rewards of eating locally and biodynamically grown seasonal squash should put a shit eating grin on my face while stuffing it with said vegetable. But truthfully, I pray to mother earth that this week's box be devoid of anything resembling a squash. Amen.

No comments: