Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Sharp End

Although I've been climbing for a long time, I never had the desire to be on the sharp end of the rope until the last few years. It took me a long time to become comfortable with the idea and risks involved with leading, but I think what has motivated me the most to make the transition is moving out west and seeing all the beautiful routes and possibilities. I wish that I could say that after making that decision to lead climb, I've been committed to climbing and making time for it. Recently, I've been discouraged because it seems that I've been pulled away by other hobbies, lack of time, work, and other responsibilities. For me, time away from the rock saps my confidence, setting me back not just physically, but actually more so mentally. But having spent the last two days on the rocks in Holcomb Valley, my climbing spirit is again revitalized. I'm getting my nerves under control and onsighting comfortably. It's a strange, but also proud feeling to be the rope gun occasionally :)

Some of my climbing goals have been pushed back, but they are still on my tick list and I know I'll get to them. Here are some of the things I hope to accomplish:
1. East Face of Whitney
2. winter ascent of Whitney
3. summit Rainier
4. summit Grand Tetons - Full Exum Route

And by saying accomplish, I plan on leading at least some of the pitches on each route. Hopefully half?

No comments: