Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Now, Your Moment of Zen

It's interesting, for the last almost 2 years, I've felt like there have been lots of little events leading me towards a Buddhist way of life and philosophy. I've always been curious about it, but most unexpectedly found someone who gave me a wonderful introduction to it in all places, Lumberton, NC. For those who don't know, Lumberton is a small town in NC that seems to survive because of it's proximity to I95. There is also a population of Lumbee Indians living there. It was a bit of a culture shock for the residents and myself, a fast talking Asian American from the Northeast. Here, I had the good fortune to work with a physician there named Mack - a white man in his 70's, raised in Oklahoma, who had practiced for most of his career in West Virginia. Some could draw all kinds of stereotypical ideas about his character from that description, and I admit that initially, I did. Just goes to show you right? Mack's been a great teacher to me in the short time we worked together. He's gifted me with with his insight, experiences, as well as some great introductory books to Buddhism.

Since working with him, almost 2 years ago, I've found that just the attempt to approach my life and to view my life in this vein of philosophy has helped me immeasurably through some pretty tough times. Recently I've been through probably the toughest time of my life thus far. So though we haven't kep in touch, I just feel moved to say, Thanks Mack.


If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your own path.

No comments: